General eligibility criteria for a part-time tuition fee loan will depend on:

  • If you have studied a higher education course before - generally you will only get a student loan if you are doing your first higher education qualification. This is true even if your previous course was self- funded.
  • Your nationality and residency status - you can only apply if you are a UK national or have ‘settled status’ (no restrictions on how long you can stay), you normally live in England, Scotland, Northern Ireland or Wales and you’ve been living in the UK for 3 years before starting your course. For EU and other residency status’ please refer to the eligibility section on the GOV.UK website.
  • If you are studying at a rate of at least 25% of an equivalent full-time course in each academic year.

For full details on eligibility criteria please see Student Finance on GOV.UK website and also see the finance bodies on our student loans section.

For further information regarding EU applications contact the Non UK Team at the Student Loans Company: eu_team@slc.co.uk or eu_migrantworkers@slc.co.uk.