Frequently Asked Questions for the USA

What are my fees in US Dollars?

All our fees are listed on our website in GBP Sterling. There is a currency converter on the website to enable you to determine how much the fees would equate to in US Dollars. You can find the currency converter on any of the programmes pages, see the fees tab. Graduate programs (Masters degrees) range from around US $12,000 - 15,000 and Bachelors degrees are typically US$ 5,300.

Are University of London degrees recognised for financial assistance in the US or the GI Bill?

Our degrees are not recognised for financial assistance in the US - including the GI Bill. However at a time when many American institutions have priced their degrees to levels requiring costly student loans, the University of London offers superior value by offering top tier degrees at affordable rates. Graduate programs (Masters degrees) range from around US $ 12,000 - 15,000 and Bachelors degrees are typically US$ 5,300.

How are University of London degrees quality assured?

We are regularly reviewed by the Quality Assurance Agency [external link] for Higher Education (QAA) which quality assures the standards of higher education in the UK.

Additionally, as a reassurance of the quality of our programs, you should know that the Colleges of the University of London have outstanding international reputations for the quality of their teaching and research.

Find out about the worldwide credentials of some of our Colleges:
London School of Economics and Political Science
Royal Holloway

Can I study independently by distance learning or must I attend classes?

Our programs are generally offered in a distance education format, supported by an "online learning environment." This allows you maximum flexibility to study at your own pace and in your own time, without the requirement to attend regular classes. Direct instruction is only available for the Bachelors of Laws programme, (LLB) where local support is available through the International Center for Legal Studies [external link].

Where would be my nearest Examination Center?

You can find a list of our Examination Centers in the USA.

What is the differences between the JD and the University of London LLB?

Both the LLB and the JD can be considered the first steps into a profession in law. The LLB is a first (Bachelors) degree in the subject of law. Students take this as they would any other undergraduate degree. The LLB is an academic programme and additional training is required for the law graduate to be able to practice law. A JD is only available to students who have already taken an undergraduate degree and serves as primary preparation to practice law in America. It will allow you to take the Bar exam in any US state.

Can I practice law in the US with a University of London LLB or LLM?

Candidates who have earned an LLB from the University of London would be required to complete one additional year at an ABA approved law school (e.g., 24-30 Credits or an LLM) in order to qualify for various U.S. state bar examinations. Some US states also require an undergraduate degree in addition to a legal education.

If you take the route of studying for a University of London LLM by distance learning to complete your overall legal education requirement you will have avoided the high tuition cost of many ABA law schools for the first three years of law study. (You can gain admittance to an LLM program with an LLB from the University of London.)

The London LLB also meets the prerequisite for the LLM at most ABA schools of law. Students are advised to check the specific admissions requirements with the ABA law school they seek admission to for the LLM.

Applicants are advised to check with each US State Board of Law Examiners or Bar Authority for their official admissions rules as these rules change from time to time.

Will gaining a University of London degree while in the US qualify me to come over to the UK to under take further studies?

University of London qualifications are internationally respected for their quality and prestige. A University of London degree obtained through the University of London International Programmes qualifies you to undertake further your studies in the UK and also worldwide.

Can I transfer from the International Programmes to on-campus study in London?

Whilst it may sometimes be possible to transfer, you should not regard studying through the University of London International Programmes as a route to gaining admission to one of the Colleges of the University. The subjects available for study and the syllabuses for each subject vary from College to College. Only those Colleges of the University whose syllabuses are similar in content to those studied through the University of London International Programmes are able to accept applications to transfer. Students who wish to apply to transfer will have to compete with other applicants for a limited number of places. It is very rare for a student registered with the University of London International Programmes to be accepted onto the final year of a degree.

How can I interact with other students in the US taking a course through the University of London International Programmes?

Our Student Portal offers discussion forums for students from all over the world You can use this forum to organise study groups with other students in your area.

Are qualifications obtained through the University of London International Programmes awarded with Latin honours (e.g. "cum laude")?

Our qualifications are awarded using the British Degree Classification scheme. An undergraduate degree may be awarded with or without honours, with the class of an honours degree based on the average mark of the assessed work a candidate has completed. Below is a list of the possible classifications with abbreviations, First Class Honours being the highest mark available.

  • First-class Honours (1st)
  • Second-class Honours, upper division (2:1)
  • Second-class Honours, lower division (2:2)
  • Third-class Honours (3rd)
  • Ordinary-Degree (Pass)

British postgraduate qualifications are not normally awarded with any honour or classification. However, there may be some instances where students who have excelled may be awarded merits or distinctions.