For details of the application process and English language requirements refer to
Students with special access requirements should refer to Section 10 of the Detailed Regulations.
An applicant must satisfy the relevant entrance requirements given in this Section. In order to be considered for registration, applicants must also submit an application that is in accordance with the procedures and deadlines set out in the appropriate prospectus.
For eligibility to register see Section 2 of the Detailed Regulations.
It is the applicant's responsibility not to apply for any individual course for which they will not be eligible to register.
An applicant must normally be at least 17 years of age at the time of registration.
University of London general entrance requirements for degrees:
An applicant must have passes in:
- either two subjects at GCE A level, and at least three further subjects at GCSE or GCE O level (at not less than grade C or a pass if taken prior to 1975)
- or three subjects at GCE A level (with one A Level at not less than grade D)
- or three subjects at GCE A level, and two further subjects at GCSE or GCE O Level (at not less than grade C)
- or two subjects at GCE A Level, and two further subjects at AS Level.
The University may, at its discretion, accept other qualifications in place of those above.
English language proficiency
For awards at FHEQ levels 4, 5 or 6, applicants must provide satisfactory evidence showing that they have:
- Passed acceptable examinations equivalent to GCSE/GCE 'O' level English Language at grade C or above; or
- Demonstrated fluency in academic English gained through either:
- Five years secondary schooling taught solely in English and/or passed GCE A levels or IB in essay based subjects; or
- Passed an International Foundation programme for UK HEI entry with a unit in English for Academic purposes (EAP) or its equivalent; or
- A full Postgraduate award, or a full first degree or Associate degree taught and examined in English from an institute that is acceptable to the University; or
- Have, within the past three years, passed a Diploma awarded by any of the polytechnics in Malaysia, Singapore or Hong Kong that is acceptable to the University; or
- Have, within the past three years, passed a test of proficiency in English language at the following minimum level: IELTS with an overall grade of at least 6 with a minimum of 5.5 in each sub test, or TOEFL with a paper based score of 580 or 237 on the computerised test plus a Test of Written English (TWE) of at least 4.5, or a test of proficiency in English language from the prescribed list published by the University.
Where an applicant does not meet the prescribed English language proficiency requirements but believes that they can demonstrate the requisite proficiency for admission the University may, at its discretion, consider the application.
All students are required to have regular internet access, allowing them to access the following resources:
- The student portal
- The University of London email address
- Details of their student records
- Programme resources on the VLE (as applicable)
- Programme resources on the University of London International Programmes website
- The Programme Specification and Regulations for their programme of study
- The University Regulations and the University of London International Programmes Student Charter
Additional entrance requirements for specific courses
Most courses (marked P in the list of courses in Annex A) are designed to be taken after one year of undergraduate study and assume an appropriate level of subject knowledge. Applications will be considered on an individual basis and evidence of more advanced knowledge in the subject area may be required (in addition to the entrance requirements that apply to all courses).
Some courses (marked M in the list of courses in Annex A) require a knowledge of mathematics. Competence at least equivalent to a pass at GCSE/GCE O level in a Mathematical subject at Grade C or above is an entrance requirement for these individual courses (in addition to the entrance requirements that apply to all courses).