GY1147 Physical geography: fundamentals of the physical environment
- Composition of the Earth: plate tectonics, earthquakes, volcanoes, rock types, geohazards.
- Tectonics and climate: setting the scene for our unique modern climate system.
- Atmosphere: composition and circulation.
- Hydrosphere and landscape evolution: precipitation, rivers, lakes, erosion, weathering patterns, hillslope dynamics.
- Oceans: surface and deep circulation, upwelling, productivity and climate.
- Biosphere: evolution, ecosystem concepts, ecological processes, soil dynamics, vegetation-geology-climate interactions.
- Global environmental change: glacial-interglacial cycles, sea-level changes, Heinrich events, El Nino southern oscillation, North Atlantic oscillation, global warming.