PS2082 Comparative politics
PS1114 Democratic politics and the State or PS1130 Introduction to modern political thought.
This course is concerned mainly with the question of how different kinds of political systems work. It focuses both on the political process and on the role of government. The syllabus considers mainly democratic government and considers the main variations between different kinds of democracy.
The following topics will be examined:
- presidential and parliamentary systems
- legitimacy and political culture
- the nature and role of the state; bureaucracy; the judicial power, the role of the military
- forms of political organisation; parties and interest groups
- electoral systems and party competition
- federal and unitary states.