PS3088 Politics and policies of the European Union
There has been a minor revision to this syllabus.
Prerequisites (applies to degree students only)
PS1114 Democratic politics and the State.
Part one: Introduction
- Historical parameters of EU integration
- Competing theories
Part two: The Political System of the EU
- The institutions of the EU (the councils, the commission, the parliament, the courts)
- Policy-making and implementation
Part three: Internal Policies and their impact on EU and the outside world
- Single Market and Competition
- Regional Policy and Cohesion
- Common Agricultural Policy
- Economic and Monetary Union
- Justice and Home Affairs
Part four: the External Dimension of the EU
- Common Foreign and Security Policy
- Trade and the Common Commercial Policy
- Conclusion: The Future of EU integration. Deepening, Widening or Consolidating?