LA3003 Land law
- General principles. Definition of land. Doctrine of tenures and estates. Fee simple estates. Legal andequitable rights. Principles of the 1925 legislation. 2002 Land Registration Act.
- Unregistered and registered conveyancing. Land Charges Act 1972. Doctrine of notice. Land Registration Acts. Concept of overreaching.
- Settlements and trusts. Trusts of land under the Trusts of Land and Appointment of Trustees Act 1996. Co-ownership of land.
- Landlord and tenant. The term of years absolute. Its nature, creation, assignment and forfeiture. Enforceability of leasehold covenants. The lease/licence distinction.
- Licences. Bare licences. Contractual licences, their revocability and enforceability against third parties. Proprietary estoppel, the nature of the doctrine, remedies and enforceability against third parties.
- Easements. Characteristics, creation, extinguishment and extent.
- Covenants running with freehold land. The common law and equitable rules relating to the running of the burden and benefit of covenants.
- Mortgages. Nature and creation. Position and rights of the mortgagor. Rights and remedies of the mortgagee.
- Adverse possession.
- Questions will not be asked on the application of the rules against perpetuities and accumulations.
Students are permitted to bring into the examination room the following specified document: either: one copy of Blackstone's Statutes on Property Law (OUP) or one copy of Core Statutes on Property Law (Palgrave Macmillan)