Annex A1 - Course Structures
- The Course Director retains the right to consider whether a student's selection of the elective modules for the MSc degree or Postgraduate Diploma is appropriate and, with justification, may restrict the options chosen by any student.
- Recommendations for the sequence of study modules can be found in the Student Handbook.
- Students who wish to obtain a subject stream-specific MSc award must ensure they have chosen to study the required compulsory modules for that stream as outlined in Annex A.
- In considering whether to take modules from the IDM2 group, students are strongly advised to check the module specifications before registration, as many of these modules require students to have a prior knowledge of basic biochemistry, cell biology, genetics and immunology in order to be able to work through and benefit fully from the module. Modules may also have specific prerequisites for study.
- Students who wish to study and be examined in EPM202 Statistical methods in epidemiology must have passed PHM102 Basic statistics for public health and policy. It is recommended that students who select this module have obtained a grade point of 4 or higher for PHM102.
- The examination numbers precede the module titles and these numbers should be used when completing examination entry forms.
- Not all elective modules will necessarily be available every year.
- The credit values assigned to award components satisfactorily completed will only apply to students registered with effect from 1 September 2011 or to students with an earlier registration date who transfer to the credit framework structure. See Section 11 of the Detailed Regulations for further information about transfer.
Public Health and Health System Management modules
A student may study and be examined in the following Public Health modules provided they have not already studied and been examined in the equivalent Health Systems Management modules as follows:
|MSc HSM module||MSc PH module|
|HS201 Financial management||PHM208 Financial management|
|HS202 Organisational management||PHM212 Organisational management|
|HS204 Health care evaluation||PHM207 Health care evaluation|
|HS301 Advanced health economics*||
PHM203 Economic analysis for management and policy
PHM204 Economic evaluation
|HS302 Health promotion strategies and interventions||PHM213 Principles and practice of health promotion|
|HS303 Medical anthropology||PHM211 Medical anthropology in public health|
|HS304 Model building for health care decisions||PHM201 Analytical models for decision-making|
HS307 Introduction to public health and control of infectious diseases
ID701 Introduction to public health and control of infectious diseases
PHM202 Communicable disease control
|HS306 Environmental health||PHM206 Environmental health policy|