Information for students

How can I get local tuition support?

All of our courses can be completed anywhere in the world by independent study (with the exception of the four undergraduate programmes (Certificates of Higher Education) and the International Foundation Programme. However, on many of our undergraduate courses - and some of the postgraduate courses - students often choose to attend classes at a local institution and benefit from the support it can offer. See advice about choosing an institution for more detailed information.

Tuition support available

There is a wide choice of study support available in many countries. Some institutions offer lectures and seminars. You may spend time in small groups of students, where you will be encouraged to discuss with the tutor questions raised in lectures and go through assignments and exercises. You may also be asked to give class presentations. Classes may be provided full-time or part-time. You should check that the support offered fits with your schedule.

You can also benefit from social and recreational facilities, libraries and other services that institutions may be able to provide.

Some institutions offer correspondence or online support. You may be provided with extra study materials, audio and video lectures, the opportunity to write assignments and receive feedback or participate in online discussions.

Benefit from our network of quality assured recognised centres

We officially recognise institutions that offer a specified level of study support to students of the University of London International Programmes within our quality assurance framework. These are known as recognised centres and have been awarded either Affiliate or Registered Centre status.

Affiliate Centres have demonstrated a sustained commitment to developing excellence in teaching, support to students and administrative processes. Affiliate Centre status is the highest level of recognition awarded by the University of London.

Registered Centres have demonstrated high standards in teaching, support to students and administrative processes.
Recognition also applies to specific programmes on named campuses.

The following document provides an overview of the Teaching Institutions Recognition Framework: [PDF 28pgs 590KB].

For detailed information on those institutions with either Affiliate Centre or Registered Centre status, as well as more limited information on those institutions that have commenced the recognition process with a view to becoming a recognised centre, please see the Directory of  Institutions.

Courses for which you must study at an institution

For the following courses, students must register through and study at a teaching institution that is recognised to teach the particular CertHE/Diploma/Access Programme/International Foundation Programme:

  • Certificate of Higher Education in Common Law
  • Certificate of Higher Education in Computing and Information Systems
  • Certificate of Higher Education in Creative Computing
  • Certificate of Higher Education in Social Sciences
  • International Foundation Programme.

For details of those institutions that are recognised to teach these programmes, please visit the Directory of Institutions.

Enrolling at a local institution

If you are seeking additional support we advise that you wait for confirmation from the University that you are eligible for your chosen course before enrolling at an institution and paying their tuition fees. Enrolment at a local institution is not the same as registration as a student with the University of London International Programmes.